A recent study from Science Direct, published in their February 2014 edition, examined the link between the occurrence and predictors of neck pain following a traffic accident. The study compared individuals who filed a lawsuit following involvement in a car accident with individuals who did not file lawsuits in search of correlations.
Our Queens car accident attorneys know neck injuries and whiplash are some of the most common injuries resulting from motor vehicle collisions. Too often these injuries are misunderstood by the general public, and thus become the butt of jokes.
The neck injury study conducted by researchers at the University of North Carolina’s School of Medicine led a team of investigators from eight different institutions. The results were published online in the journal Pain.
The purpose of the study was to find if there was a link between litigation and an individuals perception of pain 6 weeks after being involved in a motor vehicle collision.
Researchers enrolled approximately 950 individuals in the study by interviewing them when they came to an emergency room for treatment following an auto accident. The researchers then contacted the individuals again about 6-weeks after their initial interview.
During the follow-up interview, individuals who were involved in litigation were more likely to express severe neck pain as well as overall pain.
At the time of the 6-week follow-up interview about 83% of the individuals were not involved in lawsuits, leaving about 17% in the middle of litigation. The study revealed that of the individuals not involved in litigation about 28% were still experiencing moderate to severe neck pain.
A number of non-litigants (about 4%) indicated that they experienced fibromyalgia-like symptoms while approximately 13% of the individuals not involved in litigation were experiencing widespread pain.
Although the study found that the incidents of all types of pain was higher among litigants there was still a significant number of non-litigants experiencing pain a full 6 weeks after their accident. – According to the UNC study more than 70% in at least one body region. However, only 17% were involved in litigation.
The study also examined additional potential factors in the pain reported by individuals. The result – socioeconomic factors also played a role in predicting the degree of pain reported by an individual at their 6-week interview.
Every year in the United States about 4 million people visit a hospital emergency room for treatment or evaluation following a car accident. Of those individuals about 90% are sent home fairly quickly.
Some of the most common physical symptoms of whiplash include:
• Stiffness and pain in the neck • Headaches • Dizziness • Pain in the jaw area • Pain or weakness in one of both arms • Tinnitus, or ringing in the ears • Back pain
The most severe and chronic cases of whiplash may cause physiological damage as well, including: anxiety, frustration, depression, anger, and stress.
The Law Offices of Nicholas Rose, PLLC offers free consultations. Call 1-877-313-7673.
School Safety: Preventing Chemical Explosions and Burn Injuries, New York Injury Lawyer Blog, January 21, 2014
Hit-And-Run Car Accidents on the Rise in New York, Nov. 18, 2013, Queens Car Accident Lawyer Blog