Barbequing is an American tradition and people throughout the United States have backyard grills on their patios, on their balconies, in their garages or in their backyards. Unfortunately, what many do not hear about as they trade recipes for BBQ steaks is the high number of fires and explosions that occur as a result of gas grills in the home.
Our New York City injury attorneys want to warn grill users of the dangers associated with grilling. We also believe that the recent serious burn injuries suffered by ESPN News Anchor Hannah Storm are an important reminder that anyone can become a victim of a grilling accident. We were glad to see Hannah Storm back for the Rose Parade on New Year’s, especially since not everyone involved in a grilling accident is able to make such a speedy and full recovery.
The Dangers of Propane Grills
Propane grills and other gas grills require that you provide a fuel source. Most grills are free-standing and the fuel source comes from refillable propane or other gas containers.
Unfortunately, sometimes the container or the grill can have a defect. When this occurs, a fire or gas explosion can occur. This happens more than you might think. In fact, the National Fire Protection Association reported around 6,900 fires in homes that occurred between 2005 and 2009 as a result of a propane grill.
Many apartment complexes and highrises have rules against propane grills because of the risk of fire and explosion. When these rules are ignored, or are not enforced, and injuries to third-parties occur, a premises liability action may also be warranted.
These propane grilling accidents rarely make headlines. However, in December of 2012, ESPN anchor Hannah Storm was involved in a grilling accident. Storm had been preparing dinner when she noticed that her grill was out. When she attempted to relight her grill, a deafening explosion occurred that her neighbor indicated sounded like a tree falling on the home. The doors of the grill blew right off from the force of the explosion. Storm’s shirt caught on fire and she lost half of her hair as well as her eyebrows and eyelashes.
The explosion also caused Storm to suffer first-degree burns on both her neck and on her face and to suffer second degree burns where her burning shirt was before she tore it off. Pictures of Storms’ burn injuries were released by ABC and published on Yahoo Sports.
Protecting Yourself from Propane Grill Dangers
Although Storm suffered serious burns, she was lucky because gas explosions could be much worse. In some cases, the explosion of a gas grill could even cause death as a result of the heat, pressure and force from the explosion.
To minimize your risk of becoming involved in a propane grill accident, you should consider reading and following the advice from the National Propane Gas Association, which urges caution in regards to how the grill is used and how propane is stored.
Unfortunately, even if you follow all the safety tips and guidelines, a malfunctioning grill or a defective propane container can still lead to catastrophic results. This is why product liability laws place a burden on manufacturers of grills to make sure that their product is safe and why the laws impose legal responsibility on the manufacturers if a grill malfunctioned and caused harm.
The Law Offices of Nicholas Rose, PLLC offers free consultations to accident victims. Call 1-877-313-7673 to speak with someone about your case and to discuss your rights today!
NYC Drunk Driving Risks on New Year’s Eve, New York Injury Lawyer Blog December 27, 2012